A wet mattress is an unwelcoming surprise and can create havoc in your room as well as brain. It might be caused by your little kid or your pet and leaves you worrying about how to remove the stains and get rid of the urine smell.
With this guide, you can learn easy and inexpensive methods of removing urine stains and smells from your mattress and whitening your bed sheets. In this article, we have gathered all the basic steps and additional tips to remove urine, its stains, and smell by neutralising techniques.
List of Things You Require
You can use the household supplies and appropriate techniques to clean the mattress thoroughly. The following is a complete list of things which you need to clean urine out of a mattress:
- Cold Water
- Plastic Wrap
- Spray Bottle
- Baking Soda
- Clean Towels
- White Vinegar
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Laundry Detergent
Contact us and get some exciting and breathtaking cleaning services that restore your home.
Cleaning Urine Out of a Mattress
There are three major processes to clean urine out of your mattress thoroughly, including the removal of urine, its stains, and smell.
Removing Urine Liquid
To remove excess urine liquid from a mattress, you need to follow these steps:
- Remove the bedding sheets and comforter immediately from your mattress and put them into the washing machine so that urine stains do not have the time to set on them.
- Take a clean and dry towel to blot the wet area and soak up maximum liquid from the mattress.
- Take a spray bottle, add cold water and white vinegar in a proportion of 2:1 and add a small amount of laundry detergent to it.
- Spray the vinegar solution on the urine stain to soak it thoroughly.
- Leave the solution-soaked mattress for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take a new clean cloth to soak up the extra liquid.
- Add baking soda over the entire soiled mattress area and leave it for 8 to 10 hours.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with attached hose for cleaning dried baking soda from the mattress.
- Inspect the mattress carefully to see if it is completely dry and if there is no remaining urine liquid.
Removing Urine Stains
Urine leaves stains on the mattress, which should be removed immediately to restore its condition. By using simple household ingredients, you can remove the stains by following these steps:
- Make vinegar solution by mixing two parts of cold water and one part vinegar with a small amount of laundry detergent.
- Spray the vinegar solution over the stain to cover it completely.
- Cover the soaked area with plastic wrap and leave it for 24 to 48 hours to avoid the evaporation of the solution.
- Allow the mattress to get dried on its own when you remove the plastic wrap.
- Follow the steps mentioned above again to remove deeper stains, as they require a few more treatments to disappear completely.
- Check the treated area to remove any residue of the vinegar solution.
- Clean the area with water and, use towels to blot water and dry the mattress.
Removing Urine Smell
Removing the urine smell from the mattress can be daunting, even after removing the stain. It would be best if you neutralise its smell, which can be done in the following steps:
- Take baking soda and sprinkle it all over your mattress, making a thin layer over it.
- Add an extra amount of baking soda to the urine-affected area.
- Leave the mattress with sprinkled baking soda for 5 to 10 hours to completely neutralise the smell.
- Vacuum the bare mattress to remove the baking soda.
- Repeat the process if the smell still lingers on the mattress.
- You should deal with the urine-affected mattress as soon as possible to avoid the appearance of stains and potential mould growth.
- You can add a cup of white vinegar to the washing machine to remove stains and urine smell from the bedding.
- You should not scrub while removing excess liquid from the mattress as it will push the urine liquid deep into the mattress fabric, complicating its removal.
- You should close the room after covering the soiled mattress area with baking soda to avoid your kids and pets going there.
- You should carefully check if the baking soda is completely dry before vacuuming; otherwise, your vacuum cleaner might get damaged.
- You should spray enough vinegar solution on the urine stain to soak the original stain completely, deep from the mattress.
- You should not blot, rub, or attempt to soak the vinegar solution sprayed to remove the urine stains.
- You should leave the mattress to dry overnight after removing the plastic wrap.
- You should leave the baking soda on the mattress overnight to remove the urine smell.
Importance of a Clean Mattress
You can keep your mattress in good condition by adequately cleaning the urine stains and removing its smell for a peaceful and comfortable sleep. It also helps to extend the lifespan of your bed mattress, giving it a refreshing feel.
If you have encountered a urine accident once and dealt with it successfully, you should take preventive measures to avoid such problems. For this purpose, you can purchase a waterproof mattress protector to add an impermeable barrier over your mattress, which prevents urine penetration. Moreover, debris, dust, hair, and dead skin particles do not accumulate, preventing the bugs from entering the mattress.
This way, you can keep your mattress long-lasting by protecting it against spills, natural perspiration, and body oils.